Sometimes we hurt ourselves without really knowing it. A bad resume is one of those times. Here are some ways we hurt our chances of finding a better job, and what to do about it. OVERUSED WORDS – Self-congratulatory words diminish your candidacy, like: Highly qualified, hard worker, problem solver, people person, self-starter, and so on. Your professional references should use these words, not you. Rather, … Continue reading the story "STOP! YOUR RESUME IS HURTING YOU"
Post Archives from the ‘Blog: Career Advice & Tips’ Category
Ever wonder why your career isn’t getting the kind of traction you need? You may be making mistakes that automatically put your career in a stall. Assess your career against some of these common errors to see if you can ignite a new outcome. #1 – Your Start Point - Careers are sidetracked because they’re started by what’s convenient rather than what’s strategically smart. Some jobs … Continue reading the story "REVERSIBLE CAREER MISTAKES"
Having a career plan is essential to achieve your career goal. A flexible career plan should:
- Target your ultimate goal
- Identify where you are now
- Define the multiple steps and the skills needed at each step to get to your ultimate goal
- Outline the range of months or years needed at each step
Let’s assume that you match the education, key experiences and requirements of a position description for a job for which you are interested. What other factors will elevate you as a top candidate and best selection? Hiring managers want to know: What have you achieved? How did you do it? What were the results? Use this checklist to your advantage.
- Can you contribute in the short … Continue reading the story "CHECKLIST OF A HIRING MANAGER"
Hiring managers hire candidates that:
- Have a proven track record in a specific area that is most needed
- Can demonstrate they are capable to achieve results in the short and long term
- Can comfortably fit into the organization without being a disruptive force