By Bill Kaufmann, President of My Greener Future
I DIDN’T KNOW THAT!
- 58% of hiring companies check social networking sites to research job candidates. Of those candidates researched, 33% were not hired based on the information found! Reformat your social networking information so your not eliminated before you begin.
- Over 50% of communications is non-verbal experts say. But over 80% of screening interviews are over the telephone! How do you make a positive impact when you can’t “read” the interviewer. Your goal is to get a person-to-person interview?
- Finding jobs… LinkedIn 10 million. Facebook, 18.4 million but the latter site helped almost twice as many people find jobs than the former, through networking
- 71% of candidates fail the question “Why do you want to work here?” (see Tricky Questions in a prior article)
- Only 5 out of 1000 online job applications ever make it to the hiring manager’s desk
- Spending time online is one portion of your search effort, but only a part. Talking to people over coffee about their industry or company makes a greater impression.
- Sometimes a lateral move is the key to your career success. It should fit into your Career Map strategy.
- 80% of top managers ** say that communications is one of the top skills for advancement. But only 38% of those same executives see communications as better than average in their own organization. Learn the “soft skills”.
- You need to find out what the hiring manager’s biggest problem is, and how to capitalize on it with potential solutions during an interview. How do you do that?
- The higher you move up in an organization the more important the soft skills become.
- Critical thinking (73%), collaboration (72%) and innovation (66%) were all rated as skills that top managers are looking for in a new hire. But they rate their own employees at 52%, 47% and 37%.
- Do you become invisible when your organization is moving through a major transition, like a merger or reorganization? Bad move. Decision-makers may see you as irrelevant.
Join My Greener Future to develop a job search strategy and Career Map.
Find more information, articles and mini-webinars at our website: Mygreenerfuture.com